Friday, July 14, 2017

The temptation to vent

We all have it, some of us more often than others. But in a word--don’t.

Wasted time and space

I should’ve taken my own advice when I wrote this on my Facebook page last week:

I MUST vent.
(I’ll spare you the venting.)
I can’t stand it. I am DONE, people. DONE, do you hear?
The rant is ended. Amen.
(It should have ended before it began.)

Now--I didn’t trash anyone. I used no abusive language. But--it was, in the scheme of things, unimportant, and I couldn’t do anything about the situation anyway. Therefore, it was a total waste of time and space.

The difference between venting and speaking out

There is a difference between VENTING and SPEAKING OUT. It takes no courage at all to explode with wrath. It takes a great deal of courage to stand up and be counted for one’s deeply held beliefs.
I will speak out. I will try not to vent.

The problem is, people (and I include myself in this) seem to feel that their fellow humans are out there actually salivating to hear the pearls of wisdom which spew from their mouths (or their keyboards). The news media in particular is in such a rush to “get the story out” that they end up having to retract--and make themselves look like idiots. But I’m not writing to bash the media. They can do that to themselves.

Most people my age were taught

1.     good manners
2.     to tell the truth
3.     to keep our mouths shut when it wasn’t necessary to open them
4.     hurting people with gossip and criticism wasn’t nice
5.     that there were consequences for saying what didn’t need to be said
6.     that we would be better respected for keeping our own counsel publicly and sharing it privately when appropriate

Opening Pandora’s Box

But it’s like Pandora’s Box, isn’t it? It’s been opened, and all the nastiness has been released, and it can’t be put back inside and sealed up. However, one creature remained in the box--Hope. I’ve read the story of Pandora (from the 1939 volumes of Child Craft) to my granddaughters, and I love the ending of this myth adapted from American author Nathaniel Hawthorne:

“As long as you live,” said Hope, “I promise never to leave you. Sometimes you will not be able to see me, and you will think that I have gone away forever. But again and again and again, when perhaps you least dream of it, you shall see the glimmer of my wings on the ceiling of your cottage. You must trust my promise that I will never leave you.”

No comments: