Sunday, June 25, 2017

My Go-To Apps




“App” is a brand-new word in my fully-formed-in-the-fifties vocabulary. I find, in questioning Google, that an “app” is “an application, especially as downloaded by a user to a mobile device”.

Okay, I have three mobile devices:  Penelope the lappy, a Kindle Fire, and an iPhone. They all work--but “apps” seem to make them work better---I think.
So an “app” needs to actually do something. Right off the bat, I can think of two which work pretty hard for me:
·        Buffer
·        Canva
·        Fotolia
·        FB Author Page
·        Email
I have the unpaid version of Buffer, but I schedule three blogs a week and nine additional links for Twitter--a total of 12, which is more than allowed in the free version, but I can always add more once a few of them have posted.
The unpaid version of Canva also works well. If I want something besides a free background for my image, I don’t mind forking over a dollar.
Most of the images I acquire to use with Canva are from Fotlia. There’s an automatic refill feature which gives you credits as you need them, but I prefer to order on my own.
The FB Author Page is a good way to connect with other writers (and readers) on a more professional than personal basis. Certain posts can be “boosted” for a fee, and sometimes I take advantage of that.
A personalized email came with a website I used to have--dumped the website for another and kept the email for which I pay yearly. But we can’t live without email these days, can we?
There are more apps out there than fleas on a dog, and a person can become overextended in a hurry. I don’t “do” social media via my iPhone, but I do check email and have other “apps” which I find handy:
·        Local weather
·        Fox News
·        Messenger
·        A daily prayer app which comes with a handy-dandy reminder
·        Alarm for reminders throughout the day
As with all things, one has to find what works and stick with it. That’s not to say you can’t broaden your horizons. Maybe someday I’ll work on widening my range, but for now, I’m good to go.

Related Articles



No comments: