Sunday, May 28, 2017

Pennies in My Piggy Bank

StoryADay for May 2017 is almost over. Except for the one weekend I took off--which is permissible as participants set their own rules--I’ve cobbled together a story everyday. Are they finished pieces? By means! But they ARE a starting point for same. They’re horses in my stable. Pennies in my piggy bank. Cookies in the cookie jar. Bones in the trunk waiting to be strung together into a skeleton--and then fleshed out.
So what do I see as the big advantages of StoryADay?
·        Commitment to write daily. Even if I haven’t signed a vow in blood, I’ve promised myself to do it--and so I do.
·        A break from slogging though developing a novel with its numerous rewrites and edits. Several of the stories could spin into longer works, but the option for a finished work of 2,500+ words is motivating.
·        No word count limit. I’ve struggled with cutting stories down or fleshing out stories to satisfy a word count--and it’s always difficult to add to something viewed as complete--and especially to discard a scene or some dialogue.
·        A folder full of more than just ideas. All the stories have possibilities, some more than others. It’s like finding a package of ground beef in the freezer on a cold stormy day--the options are limitless.
What advice do I have for writers or those testing the writing waters if you decide to try this challenge next time around? (I think it will be back in September.)
·        Find your comfort level and set your own rules. If you need to take weekends off, twenty stories are better than none.
·        Make a firm commitment to yourself. I want to write. I will write. I won’t stress over how much I write or when.
·        If you don’t think you can write from a particular prompt, tweak it so that you can.
·        Keep a list of all the prompts for future reference.
·        Save your stories CAREFULLY in their own folder. Back them up!
·        Don’t get discouraged if “real life” interferes with your writing schedule. Life happens. Make it up, or let it go.
Meanwhile, watch “I’ll Tell You a Story” at my website for a new story coming June 1. Even though I didn’t get into the StoryADay Challenge in 2016, I still ended up with ten stories which I’m editing and sharing now.
And, above all…remember...





Check out these two “shorts” from Solstice Publishing
For quick summer reads by the pool or on a plane heading for your dream vacation!


 
Available at Amazon
Available at Amazon

No comments: