Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Blah-Blah-Blah


A day late and a dollar short…

So, since I took off for Holy Week, I’m a day behind, and Blah-Blah-Blah Day was actually April 17, Monday. According to the website Bizarre, Wacky, and Unique Holidays, this is the day to take care of everything anyone has been nagging you about--blah--blah-blah.

Where did blah-blah-blah come from?

A little research turns up the fact that the word probably originated in the early 20th century, although Webster’s Dictionary did not list it in 1913. Today the Cambridge Dictionary says the word is of British origin and alludes to other words which have little or no meaning. Related words are the Scottish blather (16th century), blab (around the same time), and blabber (14th century). Until 1936 you couldn’t have been called a blabbermouth!
My take

I’ve often (unkindly, I’ll admit) referred to people who run off at the mouth with a lot of gossip I really don’t want or need to know. (We won’t even skate near the mainstream media which runs off at the mouth with “news” which is fact or fiction, whichever suits their agenda!) I tend to be a bit more verbally restrained, but I do run of at the computer sometimes. First drafts come to mind. And yet, without a first draft, there is no finished story.


Sometimes when I re-read a first draft, I cringe and have to fight the urge to hit the delete button. Yet, thar’s gold in them there hills…eventually.
Right now I’m working on a total rewrite of The Legacy of Diamond Springs. I put out a first chapter inviting unrestrained bashing and bludgeoning and other forms of comments. No takers, alas. You can scroll back and find it, and perhaps I’ll put out Chapter 2 in the near future. The last thing any author wants to be is boring…or, in keeping with the theme of this blog entry, offering nothing but blah-blah-blah.

Moving on

Meanwhile, I’m moving on with the rewrite, which will be, of course, another first draft. And all first drafts, as we know, STINK.  Also meanwhile, I’ll be selectively viewing the news tonight…because I am long-since weary of blah-blah-blah!



 Have you visited my website lately? 

Don't forget April's free read: The Poisonous Truth 
Just click "I'll Tell You a Story"






No comments: