Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Twiddling the toes...



Oh, please. I don’t need a National Goof Off Day. I can do that every day with no apology or excuse. Hey, I’m retired!

How do I do it? Let me count the ways!

I don’t have television service--and won’t have it in my house, but someone told me about Amazon Prime and…do you have any idea how many great FREE documentaries, movies, and old sit-coms are available there?
Happy Hour for me is a large diet Coke with vanilla at Sonic. Can you guess how long I can make that beverage last when I’m playing Solitaire or Gin Rummy on my Kindle?
Our local mall doesn’t seem to be thriving--it’s practically empty on weekdays--but I can spend a couple of unhassled--and unproductive--hours browsing stores on one of my rare trips out there.
Warm sunny days draw me to a local park, usually with a fish filet sandwich from the nearby McDonald’s. I can kill an hour there easy.
Arriving at the airport 2-3 hours early is another way to kill time without anything to show for it--but I don’t want to miss a plane in case security is having a bad day and wants to examine the soles of my socks!
For a while after retiring, I didn’t touch my piano more than a few times a year--in contrast to the time spent when I was actually playing for a church pretty regularly and needed to plan and practice. But lately I can sit down and poof! An hour’s vanished.
Finally, there’s social media, namely Facebook--which I tell myself I only stay on to keep in touch with friends I don’t see often and to promote--via my author page--my books. Do I need to ask if you can guess what a five-minute check-in can become?

What I should be doing instead…

That’s easy.
     Writing.
          Marketing.
               Writing.
                    Marketing.
                         Writing.
                              Submitting.
                                   Marketing.
                                        Writing
                                             …well, you get the picture.
And most days I’m pretty good at staying focused. Other days not so much. And today-well, hey, it’s National Goof-off Day, so Sonic’s calling. Have Kindle, will answer.






No comments: