Friday, March 3, 2017

It's National Anthem Day

Today is National Anthem Day.  Most people know--or, at least, my generation knew, that the “Star Spangled Banner” was written by Francis Scott Key in 1812. He watched the shelling of Ft. McHenry in Baltimore Harbor from the vantage point of one of the British ships in the attack. He was inspired to pen the words to a poem, first called “The Defence [sic] of Ft. McHenry”.  (Follow the previous link to see why he was aboard the ship--it’s an interesting story.) Here’s another link for a look at the original manuscript as well as all four verses of the poem/song. There’s a message in every word.
In 1931, then President Herbert Hoover signed a congressional resolution making the words, now set to music, the national anthem of the United States.
Unfortunately, respect for the United States has been in short supply the last few years. Flag-burning runs rampant, and finally some high-profile athletes decided to get in on the act by kneeling rather than standing when the national anthem was played at pro games. The idea even drifted down to public high schools as clueless teens jumped on the bandwagon and rallied to the PC cause.
No country is perfect. Certainly the United States is not and never has been. But it’s stood as a beacon of freedom since 1776, and those who have fought and died over the years to keep it free deserve some respect. 

So--I’ll fly my flag every day. Now that I have solar-powered spotlights, it can wave proudly at night, too. I’ll place my hand over my heart when I see it pass by in a parade. I’ll stand in silence when the “Star Spangled Banner” is played. The flag and the anthem represent my country, and I say, “God bless her!”

My generation, born during WW II, learned good manners and respect. Actually, neither was an option.  Hopefully these young  twits who don’t even know what they’re protesting will eventually see the light. If they don’t, God help this country when they’re in charge. 

No comments: