It’s always fun to see photos of other writers’ creative places and read about their routines, so I thought I’d share mine today. No, it’s not all me-me-me-- bear with me though the first paragraph if you must. I promise you’ll find the usual links and ideas which may/may not be useful to the reader.
I’m a morning person, so once I’m up and dressed, bed made, any household chores done, and morning prayers/devotions attended to, I’m ready to boot up Penelope the Lappy and start my writing day. I have a system--sort of--which is flexible as circumstances dictate. But first I set the stage so to speak:
· Blinds open
· Aromatherapy on (favorite is peppermint or lavender)
· CD player on--anything from classical to easy listening
· Check daily calendar--do I have to get out today? What have I sworn to get done “in office”?
Then it’s time to get busy!
· What can be deleted right off the bat (including cleaning out the spam folder)?
· Is anything screaming for an urgent reply?
· Does a receipt or travel confirmation which needs printing?
· Which online writing magazines in email have articles to which I can link on Twitter and on my Facebook Author Page?
Open Canva and create today’s Literary History Moment and also the Thought for the Day which are both posted to the FAP.
Re-tweet/like/save links from others’ Twitter posts as appropriate.
Now to writing-related activities:
· Is tomorrow a blog day (M-W-F)? Do I have the blog written/completed?
· Is there a guest spot on a blog awaiting a completed interview, links, and cover art?
· Has an editor sent a round of edits to be completed? (These, of course, take priority!)
· Is there research to be done/notes taken/email requests for information?
· Should I be doing any marketing-related activities such as creating quote visuals for posting?
· Finally--is there a writing project in progress? Can I have some fun yet?
· Does “My Documents” need to be cleaned out? Saved articles read and deleted/sent to Kindle for future study/filed in folder designated for same?
· Have I received a new batch of photos from Morgue File which need to be extracted/sorted/saved?
· Does the website need updating?
By now it’s noon--or later--but on days I don’t have to throw this schedule to the wolves because of an appointment or necessary shopping (I do need milk and bread occasionally!), I’ve done a good days’ work and maybe more.
One of my grown sons is under the impression that “Mom’s retired. She doesn’t have anything to do.”
I can only shake my head and think, “Mom’s just getting started, buddy!”