Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Top 5 Distractions in My (Writing) Life



Distractions--we all gotta live with ‘em!

I keep all kinds of lists of blog ideas, and today one of them jumped out at me:

What are your top 5 distractions?
How do you deal with them?

It’s for sure we all have them, especially when we’re trying to write. I used to say, back in the day when I was raising two boys, that they could disappear for hours. But just let me get on the phone (or close the bathroom door), and they came out of the woodwork like cockroaches! Murphy’s Law.

Distraction #1: Now, with an (almost) empty nest, Murphy’s Law still comes into play. I keep my granddaughters (ages 9 and 6) a few days a week during the summers and pick them up from school on a regular basis during the school year. By and large, they entertain themselves, although I do read to them throughout the day and do small art projects or science experiments. But just let me sit down to the computer to schedule promotion, compose a blog, or answer email, and they materialize beside me like smoke curls from a chimney, sure, silent, and imploring.

“Mimi, I need. . .”
“Mimi, will you. . .”
“Mimi, I want to cuddle.”
“Mimi, I’m hungry.”

And, of course, I stop whatever I’m doing and take care of their needs, because that’s what Mimi’s do.

Distraction #2: Skype
because, of course, when someone pops up and says ‘hello’, what can you do but say hello back? Of course, I enjoy chatting.

Distraction #3:  Real life
the electrician, the plumber, and twice-yearly AC/Heat check, the termite inspector, the haircut appointment, the necessity to buy groceries. And when they all seem to come within a two-week period, I’m pulling my hair!

Distraction #4:  Checking email
 which leads to checking Facebook although I’ve already posted for the day. I keep saying I’m going to make a schedule and stick to it, but. . .

And finally, the biggest distraction of all:  myself! I can be diligently researching information for something I’m writing and end up going far afield.  The solution for this is going somewhere else to write, because I won’t get on the internet at a café, etc. But then I people-watch, so I’m distracted by that, too.

So--we all have distractions, and sometimes we deal with them better than at other times. Sometimes we just give up. Sometimes we welcome them. Sometimes. . .

What is your grizzly-bear distraction?

Of course, if you'd like a more pleasant distraction, try out my summer short read at Solstice Publishing--it's guaranteed to distract and be done with--only 15K words--and you can't beat the $1.99 price!

 



In a moment of loss and crushing despair, she struck a deceptive bargain with her husband to protect his name as he built his Texas empire. Years later, when he was gone in a hail of bullets, it came back to haunt her in ways she never imagined. Now she must strip away the hatred which has festered over a lifetime before it destroys her. But will the truth, reborn like the Phoenix, sever the carefully forged bonds between herself and her children?  Susanna feels fenced in and ripe for slaughter like the longhorns beyond her window. Damn you, Nathan Kingsley! Damn you for what you did! Damn you for dying and leaving me with the mess you made!



No comments: