Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The real deal about marketing

I've been traveling and thus am behind with blogging. However, I can't offer you anything better than this article from Randy Ingermanson's Advanced Fiction Writer Ezine which you really should subscribe to! This one speaks truth to power in marketing--so read it and fly!


Permission is granted to use any of the articles in this e-zine in your own e-zine or web site, as long as you include the following 2-paragraph blurb with it:

This article is reprinted by permission of the author.

Award-winning novelist Randy Ingermanson, "the Snowflake Guy," publishes the free monthly Advanced Fiction Writing E-zine, with more than 14,000 readers. If you want to learn the craft and marketing of fiction, AND make your writing more valuable to editors, AND have FUN doing it, visit www.AdvancedFictionWriting.com.



Marketing: Less is More
There’s an old saying that less is more. 
When it comes to marketing, this isn’t exactly true. You definitely want good marketing, but doing less and less work won’t necessarily earn you more and more money.
But here’s the truth: Fewer is better.
What I mean by that is that you have a lot of options in marketing your book. There are many dozens of things you could try. Shortly before my best-selling book Writing Fiction for Dummies launched back in 2009, my publisher sent me a PDF file with 25 marketing tasks they suggested I do.
I took a quick look through it and laughed. Some of them were projects that would take six months to do right. And I received this PDF about two weeks before launch.
I can’t find the PDF now. I have no idea what happened to it. I remember that I had a strategy meeting with the marketing director and publicity director and my editor about a week later. They asked how I was doing with the list they’d sent.
I allowed that it was a fine list. Then I told them what I was going to do to launch the book. As I recall, my To Do List had either two or three items on it. All of which were in line with my overall marketing strategy I’d put together five years earlier. And I explained why this plan would send my book to the top of its category and earn us all boatloads of money. I gave them hard data to prove it would work.
The meeting went well. Nobody mentioned the fact that there were a ton of things I was not going to do. They were all very excited about the short list of things I was going to do extremely well. Because they knew I could do them. They knew I had done those things before. They knew I had a track record of success on those few things. And they knew that would be enough.
The launch went great. The book shot to #1 in its category. It moved a lot of copies in the first month. It got a couple of dozen five-star reviews very quickly. It’s now sold more than 75,000 copies and has been a good steady earner year after year.
The key lesson here is to focus on a few marketing methods and do them well.
Start with one marketing technique. Work it as well as you possibly can. Become a champ at that one thing. 
Then after you’ve got it firing on all eight cylinders, if you’ve still got time, energy, and money, consider adding another marketing technique.
It’s far, far better to be doing one or two things very well than to be doing five things at a mediocre level, or 25 things hit-or-miss.
Less is more. Fewer is better. A few powerful marketing methods, executed insanely well, will get you a lot of mileage. Giving you time to write more books.
I could say much, much more on this, but there’s really no point. Because less is more.
Homework
1.               If you had the time, energy, and money to do only ONE marketing method, which would you choose? 
2.               If you had the time, energy, and money to do only TWO marketing methods, which would you choose?
3.               Seriously, does it even make sense to think about THREE marketing methods until you’ve got #1 and #2 bringing home the money for you? 



The Advanced Fiction Writing E-zine is Published by:
           
.               Randy Ingermanson 
              www.AdvancedFictionWriting.com/ezine

No comments: