Sunday, March 6, 2016

Be Nasty Day. . .or is that every day these days?



My calendar of Bizarre and Unique Holidays tells me that tomorrow, Tuesday, March 8, is Be Nasty Day.



Frankly, I don’t see that we need a special day for that since our society has become increasingly nasty and unkind. I don’t even recognize it anymore. And, it’s going to get worse as the 2016 elections move closer.

The posts I see on social media are unbelievable. After so many from the same person, I don’t unfriend but rather unfollow for the duration and hope I will see something better from them in the future.  To many posts are put out there as “fact”--but if one takes the time and trouble to vet those so-called facts, more often than not they turn out to be pure fallacy.

It’s no wonder bullying in schools is rampant--the children learn it at home from their parents who don’t think twice before flaying a public figure (or even a private one) for almost anything. A child hears his parents and assumes it’s all right to say whatever pops into his mind and mouth. And then he’s shocked to be hauled up on the charge of “bullying”.

Mobs which loot, burn, and threaten get away with it because it might be politically incorrect to rein in their right of “assembly” and “free speech”. Please. When did it become okay to destroy property and steal?

The old saying “Two wrongs don’t make a right” is now, “Wrong is right. Make enough noise, and you can get away with whatever you want to.”

So--be especially nasty tomorrow. Goodness knows, we wouldn’t want to break our winning streak in the quest to destroy courtesy and decency forever.

 So nothing to see here. Move along. I plan to--move along, that is. Most of my “friends” on FB are known to me only through that medium. I operate on the assumption these people are good folks. When I see a nasty post, I’m disappointed in them. When I see another one from the same person, I’m sorry for whatever compels them to lash out and be deliberately cruel.

Growing up, I learned a few lessons which have stuck over the years. My father used to say, “It doesn’t cost anything to be nice.” And it doesn’t. At the end of each day, I always recall with regret the times--and they happen!--I haven’t been and pray to do better tomorrow.

Being nasty can become a habit--and then a standard of behavior--and when that happens, we have lost it all.

No comments: