Sunday, February 7, 2016

"Music hath charms. . .": Love Songs Past and Present



Continuing with the theme “Creative Romance”, here are a few interesting tidbits on the ever-popular love songs which flood the airways.



Here's a list of my all-time favorites!

“Goodnight, Little Girl of My Dreams” was possibly the first love song which caught my fancy. I played the old 78 rpm record belonging to my parents and fell in love with love.
“Young Love (First Love)” and “Only You” resonate from the 45 rpm player which filled the school gym for our dances and were also eagerly listened for on the local radio station each night.
“Meet Me Tonight in Dreamland” and “Because” are from eras long past but touched my heart in ways I can’t fully explain.
“We’ll Meet Again” and “I’ll Be Seeing You”, so honestly sung by (Dame) Vera Lynn during WW II are poignant reminders of too many loves which never saw tomorrow.


Finally, “Wind Beneath My Wings”, a more modern song, played on my heartstrings as I wrote ‘the great American novel’ which has yet to see the light of day after some 40 years!

Some searching turned up this website listing the 100 Best Love Songs of the 20th Century Perhaps you’ll find your favorites listed there. 

British playwright William Congreve (1670-1729) is the source of the oft-misquoted “Music hath charms to soothe the savage beast”. Music has always soothed me in times of heartbreak and near despair and also lifted me in joyous (even ordinary!) times. And love songs speak to the best within us and give voice to our unspoken hopes and dreams when we’re young--and to our memories when we grow old.

February is the month for love and love songs. 
Sing along!


No comments: