Sunday, December 6, 2015

Give Me the Good Old Christmas!




I wrote this somewhat amateurish poem around 1960 at the age of 16. In my wildest imagination, it never occurred to me that the season would someday fall prey to political correctness and even be demonized. But I still believe in Christmas--in its true meaning-and in miracles. I hope you do too. 

Give Me the Good Old Christmas

Give me the good old Christmas
Of carols and cards and prayers,
Before businessmen took it over and
Gave it commercial airs.

Give me the good old Christmas
That began in mid-December,
When Santa Claus came on Christmas Eve
And not in late November.

Give me the good old Christmas
When th tree and the tinsel that bound it,
Were ever so much more special
Than the number of gifts around it.

Oh, give me the good old Christmas
That proclaimed again and again,
What the angels sang so long ago:
Peace on earth! Good will to men!


No comments: