Sunday, December 13, 2015

Christmas on the Big (or Small) Screen




I’m a creature of habit (for the most part) when it comes to holiday traditions. One of those dear to my heart is curling up with a bowl of popcorn and a Christmas movie. No way is it Christmas at my house without these:

·        How the Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon version with Boris Karloff providing the voice of the Grinch) My children started the season with this beloved 30-minute trip to Who Ville, and even as adolescents, they’d sing along under their breath, “Welcome, Christmas, wah-hoo, wah-hoo. . .”
·        White Christmas (the 1950s remake of Holiday Inn) with Bing Crosby crooning Irving Berlin’s classic song. I remember seeing it around the age of 9 or 10 in the old Texas Theatre in downtown San Angelo. When I came out, a few flakes of snow fell half-heartedly, but my daddy took me next door to a friend’s drugstore and bought me hot chocolate.)
·        I’ll Be Home for Christmas (Hal Holbrook, Eva Marie Saint), a bittersweet story of the season’s enduring meaning despite war (WWII) and death and loss  
·        The Gathering (Edward Asner, Maureen Stapleton), a made-for-TV movie about a family’s reconciliation and perhaps finding each other for the first time. (There’s a sequel called The Gathering Part II) which is also worth a watch.
·        A Christmas Carol (I especially love the 1938 version with Reginald Owen and the 1951 remake with Alistair Sim, which I saw as a child.)
·        Christmas in Connecticut (a wacky tale with the brilliant Barbara Stanwyck)
·        Christmas Eve (another made-for-TV movie with Loretta Young and Trevor Howard about the untangling of bitter family relationships in the Season of Love)

Leave a reply with your favorite Christmas movie for a chance to win a print or eBook copy of
A Very Kate Christmas.




No comments: