Friday, September 25, 2015

The Friday Five: Listen up!



September is Classical Music Month. (See this wonderful calendar for tons of writing ideas!) While I’m not that knowledgeable about music, I know what I like--which is all that’s important. When I’m writing, I tend to pop in a cd for company and inspiration. Here are five of my favorites.

1.      Vladimir Horowitz: A Reminiscence (piano) which includes Chopin’s “Mazurka, Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata, and Schumann’s Traumerei.
2.      Leilia Josefowicz: Mendelssohn & Glazunov Violin Concertos (violin with the Montreal Symphony conducted by Charles duToit). I could listen to her violin sing Alexander Glazunov’s Violin Concerto in A Minor, op. 82 forever!
3.      Frederic Chopin’s Nocturnes played by Tamas Vasary (piano)
4.      Emanuel Ax (piano) Hayden’s Piano Sonatas Nos. 29, 31, 34, 35, 49. I had the distinct pleasure of hearing Mr. Ax perform in person at the Houston Symphony.
5.      Isaac Stern, Yo-Yo Ma, and Emanuel Ax combining piano, violin, and cello playing some of Shostakovich’s masterpieces

While I love most kinds of music, including Southern Gospel, 30s-40s-50s classics, and more, classical music is much more soothing for concentrated writing time. My car radio stays tuned to a classical music station in Little Rock (as it did in Ft. Worth), and when I hear something that touches me, I try to joy down who and what and look for it to buy for my own music library. 

I remember listening to my small table radio (a gift from my grandparents) while I did homework in the evenings. Somehow in my younger days I didn’t get distracted by the lyrics of Elvis, the Everly Brothers, and the Kingston Trio, and other pop singers of the day. But my aging brain doesn’t process two sets of words anymore--song lyrics and writing words--so I stick to classical music. 

Am I weird? Is anyone else out there weird, too?

Visit my website!



No comments: