Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Recycling and Reaching Out






     So what's in this handy dandy black "leather" notebook that's been hanging around taking up space for over ten years? Besides the general marketing plan information/mission statement, you'll find these sections:

  • Sales and Distribution Channels/Retailers (e.g. Amazon, Smashwords, etc.)
  • Book Description (See Sales Copy), Competition (Actually, I don't have any competitors listed here-we're all in this together, and I know what's out there in the same genres.)
  • Target Audience (e.g. cozy mystery/romantic suspense fans, history buffs, women over 30, etc.)
  • Book Promotion Tactics (e.g. Keep track of strategies to determine which have an effective return.) Under this section I have lists of FB promotion sites, Twitter hashtags, writing groups, and much more.)
  • Media Venues/Press Kit (e.g. contents of an actual press kit, email marketers, internet radio, podcast venues, etc.)
  • Individual Internet Activities (e.g. free days on Amazon, auxiliary writing)
  • General (e.g. timeline)
  • Review and Measure Success (e.g. strategies, tweaks, discards, etc.)
  • Budget (e.g. promotional copies, paid advertising, paid writing sites)
  • Sales Copy (e.g. book descriptions, blurbs, taglines, links)
  • Books Info (e.g. links, ASINs, etc.)
  • Author Bio (e.g. several for various venues)
  • KDP Select (because I use this for now
  • Handbook from Southern Authors,  an online writers' site I belong to
  • File articles (various articles I have made notes from but want to retain, such as Authors Publish, Authors' Den, Authors' Marketing Club, How to Create a Podcast, etc._
     In the front and back pockets, I tucked a small notepad and some of the promotional business cards I carry.

     It's a work in progress--and it's flexible. Yes, I have copies of all this information saved to my computer, but I'm old enough to remember when all we had were print copies--and I like them. I'd rather grab my notebook than search my documents no matter how well they're organized.

     I'd enjoy hearing from other writers how they organize their promotional strategies, and I'll go into more detail on any of the above if you ask! 


And, of course, since we're talking about promotion...

  Trixie's road ends in Dreamland...but what's waiting for her there, and does she even want to know?

available at Amazon.com
as individual books 
or
as a boxed set 

No comments: