Sunday, June 8, 2014

New Writing and Writing News

First things first:  the official rollout of the Penelope Pembroke Cozy Mystery Series boxed set is TOMORROW. With a wonderful cover by Jessica Richardson, the six single titles are being offered at $9.99, which is like getting one book FREE. Of course the books are still available as singles at $1.99.

The BIG news is:  I went back and recounted (twice) the net sales for Penelope and came up with--are you ready for this?--23,000! When I began the project, I felt I'd be happy with a few hundred sales, so obviously I'm overwhelmed and properly grateful. The books are still selling steadily in smaller numbers--but hey, a royalty is a royalty!

Most people who read the books liked them. A few were offended because Penelope held to her moral principles. But I guess in this day and age, it isn't surprising that the "new good" is "bad". Some very sharp readers took the time to email me about a few errors--e.g. the name of a college where a certain degree was NOT offered--and even the wrong use of an adverb describing the location of something in a Catholic church. I responded with thanks, and when I updated/corrected the books, these changes were made.

It was just about two years ago when a late night Skype chat with writing friend Donna Alice Patton gave birth to the Penelope series. A cradle Catholic, Donna mentioned again how Catholic characters aren't really visible in traditional Christian fiction. When I said something about being spurred to write one, she volunteered her help. Within minutes we had a list of characters and a few ideas.

I'm not sure she realized what she was volunteering for, because all my research was done in a very Protestant sort of way--so she had to answer a LOT of questions! Then, she ended up reading the mss and "vetting" them for any theological and/or liturgical errors. But finally, on July 17, 2013, the first book was independently published through Create Space and Amazon Kindle. 

Which brings me to the birthday coming up--and on July 17, 2014, I'm going to celebrate Penelope's success by offering the first TWO books absolutely free on that day. So if you haven't had a chance to meet Penelope, here's your chance. I'll be posting reminders on FB and Twitter in advance of as well as on the date.

And while you're waiting for the birthday bash, visit The Dreamland Series--three cozy mysteries coming soon to a Kindle near you.




No comments: