Sunday, February 2, 2014

Here's the deal...

Yesterday I posted the following on Facebook:

Okay, here's the deal: I've just read two very good books. I mean, they are really, really good...clever plots, well-developed characters, thoroughly engrossing...and based on that, they need 5-star reviews BUT...how shall I put this delicately? I'm reading along when all of a sudden the authors put the brakes on and seem to be thinking, "Oops, I'd better stop and put in a steamy (and that's mild!) love scene here." Now, the scene has nothing to do with the well-paced mystery plot...absolutely nothing. Do the authors think I'll stop reading if this sort of thing is missing? I just do some fast moves with the old stylus until I get back to the action, and I don't mean the kind of action I just mentioned. And I'll be dirty-darned if I'm going to review/recommend them just because! Plus, I won't buy those authors' books again, though it won't be the first time I've been burned...or the last.

I don't really expect any snarky comments for the simple reason that it would "show up" the person posting--so maybe I'll just get unfriended. That's all right, too, because I've done some housecleaning myself to keep from having to look at half-nude men and read some really nasty stuff. 

 So here's the REAL deal:

(1) Animals mate. (Yes, some mate for life.)
(2) Characters in books have sex at the drop of a hat. Often, they move on to another partner before book's end. 
(3) Lust does NOT equal love.
(4) A physical relationship is only one wonderful expression of love.
(5) Could the high rate of out-of-wedlock births and/or abortions be related to how our young people see/read the "glamor" of "if it feels good, do it" without being taught the consequences?

I can hear some people saying, "Oh, get a life!" I have a good one, thank you, and yes, I love romance. Real romance. Committment--that old-fashioned 'til death-do-us-part kind. Loving and cherishing and putting the other person's well-being first. Tenderness, caring, sharing...the kind that only grows stronger as time passes and young bodies (sensationalized and exploited in so many books) grow old. Who said, "Grow old along with me...the best is yet to be..."?

Ah, well, I'll keep looking for books I can read ALL of without skipping the "hot" parts. And I'll keep spinning my little tales of real love...because it's out there.


No comments: