Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sometimes you just gotta say it...







Someone posted this on Facebook, and I shared it. I can't get it out of my mind, because there is so much in my day-to-day life which gets between God and me. I don't mean for it to--I don't choose those things--but it happens.

For example, I don't have television service because there is so much I don't need to/won't watch: the language, the violence, the political ads directly opposed to my Christian faith. I don't miss it because I go to the library and check out documentaries and oldies but goodies where there was no foul language and where fade to black was more titillating than all the graphic scenes so prevalent today. I checked out a movie yesterday.This movie was 'newer', and I'd seen it before and remembered it being a sweet/funny story--but as I watched again, my ears were assaulted by four-letter words I'd forgotten were there and also a 'situation'. I'm ashamed to admit I continued to watch, conveniently overlooking what I should not have dismissed. I'll try not to make the same mistake again.

Over a year ago, I checked out of Facebook, then later set up a new page for the specific purpose of promoting the Penelope books. I don't spend a lot of time there, and I've found and shared lots of good things. I've also cringed at some of the pictures and posts which hit me in the face as I open up and scroll through. Reluctantly, I've unfriended folks who continue to post pictures of near-naked men/women and punctuate their posts with obscenities. It just doesn't get my day off to a good start.

Please don't misunderstand--the human body is a beautiful thing. I've been privileged to walk through European art galleries and stand in awe before sculptures and paintings by the 'old masters'. But it's a sacred thing, too, and it hurts to see something God created put 'out there' for other purposes. I don't buy/read books from authors (even if I know and like them personally) where the focus is on purely sexual attraction and graphically written.

So I expect I'll be doing more unfriending in 2014, not because I feel exclusive or better than anyone but because...if it stops you from getting closer to God, it needs to go.

Call it anything you like, but the truth is, our world--our country--is in trouble. Oh, sure, it's been in trouble before, but it got better because people stood up for what was right even when it wasn't popular/politically correct to stand up and speak out.  There's not enough of that going on these days. Call it old age--but as one gets older, one realizes that the opportunity to stand up is fading. I've stood up and spoken out before--and I've stood down and kept quiet, too, for no good reason. I'm proud of the former and ashamed of the latter.

This is my 70th year. Who knows if it's my last--or if 20 more loom ahead? I don't want to waste a single day of whatever is given.

I heard this at church today:  Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some people ever read. 

I'm going to try...and fail...and try again...but I am going to try.


No comments: