Friday, January 3, 2014

Organized is good...also the art of NO

Yes, it is! I've spent the last two days rearranging/reorganizing my kitchen, pantry, and utility room, and verily I say unto you...it is good! I have a few drawers in my bedroom to take care of--just the usual yearly straightening--but all in good time.

I guess I've always been organized as far as the big things--keeping up with important papers/information, etc., because that's how I was brought up. But I let many of the smaller areas slide into pure chaos, citing the pressure of work, kids, and so on. After I retired, I began to make inroads on knowing where things were without having to look. Of course, now I have grandchildren who have taken over the guest room and that closet, but I go in periodically and reorganize that, too, and if they can't find what they want, they can look for it themselves!

It's a good feeling to be organized, because that equals being in control. No, let me rephrase that--it means taking control of my life in ways I never did before. Again--I used the excuses of work, kids, parents, and so on. After I retired, I felt I could finally be me--but others had different ideas. So, it's taken a few precious years of my retirement to be able to stand up and say,

No, I don't want the garage 'organized' that way.
No, I can't be 'on-call' for you any longer, and that doesn't make me selfish.
No, I don't like the pictures hung on the wall that (not my) way.
No, I won't have someone out to blow leaves before they are all off the trees.
No, I will not apologize for buying the car I wanted instead of what someone else wanted.
No, I am not 'morbid' for getting my affairs in order so you don't have to go through what I did.
No, I will not apologize for 'cluttering up' my garage with recycling which I take regularly.
No, I am not sorry I have bins of 'old' keepsakes put away--someone is going to want them someday.
No, I am not whining when I say I'm tired--I'm not thirty any more.

I could go on, but you get the idea.  

It's been a hectic holiday season--not that I planned it that way. I've provided daycare for grandchildren out of school. I've had company and cooked and cleaned and cooked some more. On Monday the girls go back to school. I have a list of things to accomplish in town. Not this Sunday but the next, right after church, I am taking off for a week's 'writing retreat' at this lovely little spot (http://atlivingwatercabins.com/) not too far away--but far enough to be out of reach! I have a book ready to go up on Amazon, which will include marketing, and will do some writing on the new cozy mystery series. Just solitude, rippling water, and me--and hopefully some warmer weather for porch-sitting and walking about.

I have a busy year ahead--seven books to get 'out there'. I'm organized and ready for the adventure!  


No comments: