Sunday, November 3, 2013

How did we get from there to here?

A classmate is keeping everyone updated on monthly birthdays so we can exchange good wishes. He's especially stressing "the big 7-0".  Humphf. I am still seventeen, thank you. Seventeen and graduating from high school and going off to college with my whole life in front of me. Wait...let me think...was that just yesterday, or was it a lifetime ago?

Having gone to school early, I'm one of the younger classmates. I have another whole year before "the big 7-0" comes along. One more year to put my hand against the face of the clock and try to hold back time. But, of course, it can't be done.

So...how did we get from 17 to 70 in the blink of an eye? And do I really want to know?

I thought my parents were old at 40. They almost made 90, so I come from pretty long-lived stock. My mother used to tell me I'd never grow up. "No," I'd reply, "and I'll never grow old either." I bought my first Mickey Mouse watch when I was 50. Well, I'd always wanted one, and it was time. I still start December by watching the cartoon version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". I read the comic page in the newspaper every day.

When I was growing up, all the "old" women (probably younger than I am now) wore the same black square-heeled, lace-up shoes and clip-on pearl earrings. I guess it was their trademark--or something. I like jeans, sneakers, and hoops or "danglies" in my two-hole ears.

People talk about the risks which young people take without thought of the consequences. I try not to think about either one anymore. Maybe they're smarter than we think. Maybe they know what I just found out--you only go around once, and it's better to live a few years than to vegetate for a lifetime.

At this point in time, there's no going back, only forward at what seems now to be break-neck speed. I'm just going to hold on tighter and soar with the eagles. Who wants to be a sparrow hopping around on the ground digging for worms?

No, I'm not contemplating sky-diving or bungee-jumping. A tattoo? I don't think so. Shucking my blissfully single state? When pigs fly. But the road beckons, and I have places to go and people to meet and things to learn.

I don't really know how I got from there to here. It was inevitable, I suppose.

Just know I'm not staying here with so many 'theres' to see.

The life I was afraid to live before is still out there waiting for me, and I'm on my way.



No comments: