Saturday, November 23, 2013

Current Rants and Raves

Raves first:  I'm currently reading Dr. Charles Krauthammer's Things That Matter. The man is not only brilliant but outrageously funny. I sat in the pick-up line for my granddaughter yesterday and almost found myself unable to drive because of laughing so hard at his "Don't Touch My Junk" essay.

Kudos to the school children/parents in South Carolina who fought back against a group of sue-happy bullying "humanists" determined to keep them from providing Christmas gifts for children. These lovely groups go in and threaten to sue small towns/schools which don't have the money to fight them in court, and they know it. It's bullying pure an simple--and even worse, bullying someone smaller and weaker.

Fox News journalist Megyn Kelly interviewed the head of the humanist group threatening to sue, and he proclaimed they'd sent money to the Philippines for disaster relief. Good for them. But he couldn't answer when she asked him what they were doing for the children who wouldn't be getting gifts because of his group. He looked blank when she said well, he was protecting them from being "evangelized" and she was sure that would give them "warm comfort"on Christmas morning. In the midst of total disgust for people like this, you have to feel sorry for them, too...just a little.

The new Common Core curriculum taking over our schools seems designed to indoctrinate students in the almighty government (current)doctrine. Sixth-graders in an AR school were asked to re-write the Bill of Rights. In another school, teachers were directed to read the Gettysburg Address without expression and without giving the historical background. A fourth grade class biography about Obama seems to want students to believe all white people are racists. And, of course, Education Secretary Arne Duncan lashed out at "white suburban moms" criticizing his baby.Some states, I understand, are pulling out. I hope the rest follow suit.

Folks, I don't know about you, but I am about fed up with being told what a terrible racist  I am because I am white. I was born white--nothing I can do about it. I am a Christian and a political conservative by choice. I have that right in a free country. I lived through the Civil Rights Era, and you can bet I was rooting for all those determined to end racial discrimination in every corner of society. We have come too far to play the "race card" at every turn just because someone disagrees with someone else. I'm done with political correctness. You can teach but not mandate courtesy and respect. I was taught both. If someone else wasn't, well, that's their problem.

I'm tired of the name-calling, the double-speak, professional politicians who live a fine life on my tax dollar, the race-baiters, and those who would deny kindness and compassion if it's linked in any way to the G-word--that being God.

God help America!

(I hope the NSA and anyone else tracking American citizens on the internet takes note of this post. I guess I will know they did if my tax return gets audited or a swat team shows up at my house with/without a search warrant.)

America! America! God shed His grace on Thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhod
From sea to shining sea!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

GO YOU!
When my daughter told me that saying 'bless you' to someone when they sneezed was politically incorrect and offensive I about fell over. I was quick to point out they still did it on a current children's TV program - Handy Manny.

Why can't we just BE NICE? Like you, I was taught manners and tolerance. My manners stay in place but these days my tolerance is beginning to slip. Tolerance of people who prefer to go by what they are 'told' rather than by common sense. Stupidity is mutating. And some think 'preppers' are nutty. They'll be the only sane ones left in the world.

Signed in under a different account but this is Angela Drake