Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Grand Adventure, Mistakes and All!

The original intent of The Word Place was to write about writing--specifically "resources, reflections, and remedies", but I've drifted lately. So let's see...how about a "remedy" today.

I don't think I'm the only person who hits the indent key for paragraphing, but now I realize why that's a no-no. When I started formatting mss for Kindle, I realized that the paragraphs could be/usually would be skewed unless I went back and set the indent for 0.5"--which automatically throws a new paragraph to the exact right spot. Going back and doing that after the fact is tedious and time-consuming. Lesson learned. From now on, any new ms will be formatted from the start.

Working with headers and footers (page numbers) has taught me to check the toolbar for a sneaky little thing called "link to previous"--which, if highlighted, can throw everything off, especially when you've put in section breaks for whatever reasons. And, it highlights itself automatically! Look for it, and turn it off if you don't want to start from scratch.

In the "is-my-face-red" section, even though I pride myself on careful research, I have made some bloopers--and readers have let me know about them. I will never again assume I know something without double-checking to be sure. Also, if you are a reader, don't hesitate to point out the errors--politely, of course. I've been fortunate to have some of the nicest readers send me an FYI email--and I appreciate that they took the time to do it.

No matter how long one writes, being a writer is an evolving thing--from technicalities to truth. I think it's one of the grandest adventures of life!

No comments: