Thursday, October 31, 2013

Of disrespect and hope...

So much for my resolution to blog regularly! It's been a busy month, which is no excuse, but the statement stands. Mostly, I just haven't been inspired to say anything remotely worthwhile. Let's see if I can dredge up any interesting tidbits...

The Penelope books have sold 17,461 copies since mid-July. My first royalty checks were a treat. For the first time since I've retired, I've earned money. There's a topic--does earning money make one valuable and not earning money relegate one to the bottom of the barrel? Sometimes I wonder. Example:  On my last doctor's visit (I only go once a year, thank goodness!), the nurse persisted in calling me "Baby". Retired + gray hair + senior citizen = Baby. I didn't say anything, but due to persistent issues with the nurses in this particular office, I'm looking for a new doctor.

Ah, now I've found my soapbox. When I was growing up, I was taught to respect older people. I mean, respect them. It was Mr./Mrs., sir/ma'am, etc. And it wasn't just surface respect--it was real respect. These people had lived and had something to teach me from their experience. What they offered me was a gift, and I took it gratefully. I appreciated them. I really did.

Of course, disrespect is a way of life these days. We don't respect life in general. Inconvenient conceptions are easily gotten rid of. Decisions permanently affecting children's lives are often made with the stroke of a gavel. Children as young as kindergarten are suspended from school under an insane "zero tolerance" policy for things they don't even realize aren't "politically correct". Despite lip-service to "diversity" and cultural respect", certain groups are notably cast aside or, worse, demonized. The name-calling in our nation's capital is embarrassing--or should be--but I have the feeling it's just business as usual.

The bottom line is, IMHO, we can't respect others if we don't respect ourselves--and look at how we treat ourselves. Young girls flaunt their "assets" before they even have them. Boys seem to think sagging pants which show what we all have but shouldn't advertise is "cool". What about the music we listen to, the television shows we watch, the movies we pay big bucks to see? Are they respectful of anything? I think not. I'm appalled at the language posted so casually on social media and found in so-called "best-sellers".

Look at what comedians make fun of these days: moral values, people's intimate lives (it shouldn't matter if they're public figures or not), patriotism. And they get paid for it!

It's like Pandora's box--once it was opened, all the awful, terrible things crept out and infiltrated the world. Ah, but one thing was left, wasn't it? Tucked away in a quiet corner, the one remaining inhabitant of the box struggled to free itself.

It was HOPE. 

I don't want to lose it.





No comments: