Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Our Kids Are Covered

I saw a magazine ad urging parents to have their sons as well as daughters vaccinated against HPV. So now they don't have to worry about contracting a sexually transmitted disease.

Moving right along, the next step is making sure they have access to birth control--best if it's at no cost. Also, they must be able to get pregnancy test kits over the counter.

And, if all else fails, they can always get an abortion, and in some cases, parents don't even have to be bothered with the knowledge of the event.

 No fuss, no bother, no uncomfortable discussions about self-control and self-respect.

Yep, our kids are covered.

2 comments:

mother of 3 daughters said...

I have three teenage daughters, and you can believe that I have spoken with them at length about how decide on their own sexual behavior. It's interesting how strong a young woman can become when you tell her quietly what your expectations are and demonstrate what it is you respect.

On the other hand, because I know myself and the world they are likely to live in, they have all three been vaccinated for HPV. The HPV vaccine only keeps someone from developing cancer in later life, it doesn't protect against sexually transmitted diseases in general, and it absolutely does protect against pregnancy. I'm in tabor of my daughters having accurate information about all of these matters.

And just in case you're wondering, I'm in favor of legalized abortion, even though I personally believe it to be the taking of a life. To me, what's legal and what's right are not always the same thing. I'm just really glad I've never had the desperation of abortion touch my life.

mother of 3 daughters said...

Okay, this is embarrassing. Please excuse my typos. It should read "The HPV vaccine ... absolutely does NOT protect against pregnancy. I'm in FAVOR of my daughters having accurate information ...."

I had so much trouble getting it to post I forgot to proofread.