Thursday, October 3, 2013

Maybe a dictionary would help...or maybe not...

Okay, so the current dictionary has listings for words only written on bathroom walls when I first learned to use said reference book. That fact doesn't mean the words are useable in polite company. Frankly, when I run across someone (FB comes to mind) who can't express shock, anger, surprise, joy, etc. without the use of the F-word, I realize that person and I just have to say goodbye. That's what the 'unfriend' button is for.

Not that I'll be missed, and that's okay. There's an old saying about how the eyes are the window of one's soul. I think speech is the mirror of that soul. I know, I know, I'm just an old-fashioned old lady, a real prude. Good. I'm glad. I sleep better at night.

I remember my first few weeks at college, meeting girls from so many places and backgrounds. I heard a lot of profanity and thought (naively) it was really 'cool'. Come Thanksgiving, when I went home, I tried some of it out. Not cool.

I think that's one of the things I appreciated most about my husband. He had a clean mouth--and it reflected his clean mind. He knew the words, but he chose not to use them.

Usually books with graphic language get closed and returned unfinished to the library and/or deleted from my Kindle. Occasionally I can move past the words when they're used in realistic context (e.g. in a crime drama, for example) and understand why they were used (NOT overused, btw).  Ditto movies I check out because I had my television cut off so as not to have my ears assaulted on a regular basis. (Why pay for a service I don't use?)

In the end, people will spout what they want to. They have that right. And I have the right not to listen.





No comments: