Saturday, August 17, 2013

Is confession really good for the (my) soul?

Tomorrow will make one month since I launched the Penelope Pembroke Cozy Mystery Series for Kindle. To date, the first three books have sold/lent over 2,200 copies. To say I'm amazed (and delighted, of course!) is an understatement.

But now it's time for 'true confessions'. I had no idea there were that many people out there looking for a good clean read. In addition, I will make full acknowledgement that I have in the past envied other authors who sold more books writing what I could not. Envy is always wrong and avails nothing. Let me be clear: I don't begrudge anyone success. In the end, one makes (or doesn't make) her own 'success' according to her own definition of same.

Shortly after it became clear that the first three books had found an audience, my shortcomings were brought home to me in a short prayer from one day's morning devotional:

Father,
May everything we do
begin with Your inspiration
and continue with Your saving help.
Let our work always find its origin in You
and through You reach completion.

The bottom line was, whether I sold one book, a hundred books, or a thousand books, I could only hope to feel satisfied if they were the product of my own moral compass. 

Then came the next--and most difficult--'revelation' if you want to call it that. On another morning I was reading from "Daily Living for Seniors", a devotional to which I subscribe by email. It spoke of how many people carry around 'spiritual fire extinguishers', afraid to be seen as too extreme or as having gone overboard. I realized I'd been packing that fire extinguisher for a long time, at least in my writing world. But shucking it off was another matter.

If I shared my  newly-acquired 'wisdom', would the readership of this blog dwindle? Would the next three books be shunned as having been written by an 'extremist'? Was I obligated to take that chance? The answer was--yes. There was no getting away from it.

So here it is. Somehow I feel 'lighter'. 

Book 4, The Possum Hollow Hullabaloo, should be up on Sunday. Meanwhile, get acquainted with Penelope here.    

No comments: