Monday, July 15, 2013

Sgt. Bradley Pembroke, Amaryllis PD

I can't remember when I wasn't interested in law enforcement. I applied with the Amaryllis PD while I was still in college, and as soon as I graduated, Chief Harley Malone hired me and sent me to the police academy. Recently he sent me for more training and put me into the newly-created position of detective. At the time, I didn't think there was much to "detect" in Amaryllis, Arkansas, but as Pawpaw (Jake Kelley) said, ever since Sam showed up, things have been popping around here. And don't ask me who Sam is. I'm not sure myself.

My mother and I moved home to my grandparents' house when I was twelve, and three years later, she and my dad divorced. I was pretty irritated with her at the time, but now that I'm a grown man, I can see she did the right thing--and probably should've done it sooner. He was, well, a ladies' man, and that's being nice about it.

Dad also inherited the family cotton plantation. Pembroke Point has been out there since the first Pembrokes came here in 1839, even before the town of Amaryllis was founded. He always thought I'd take over for him, being the only son and all. I'm interested in the history of the place, but growing cotton wasn't what I wanted to do. It put a distance between us, one I really regret.

Mother--that's Penelope Kelley Pembroke--landed on her feet. She took care of my grandmother until she died and then worked as an ER nurse over in Little Rock until she decided she didn't want to commute anymore. Then she turned the Kelley homeplace into a B&B. Pawpaw retreated to what he calls his hideaway, which was the servants' quarters back in the old days. He's fixed up real cozy with his own sitting room, bedroom, and private bath. He's always on the go with the  Toney Twins. (I sure hope I'm not the one who ends up arresting those two for reckless driving.)

Amaryllis is changing, but it's still a good place to live. I want to stay here and raise a family just like my Mother raised me. I've dated a few women around here, but no bells rang.  But about six months ago, Chief Malone hired Rosabel Deane fresh out of the police academy, and she's...well, let's just say I might be hearing something. Not bells exactly, not yet, but wind chimes maybe.

Meanwhile, I just try to do my job the best I can--and keep Mother out of trouble. She's a handful. But I guess I wouldn't have her any other way.

No comments: