Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Never grow up, never stop learning, never grow old...

Never grow up.

My mother was fond of saying I'd never grow up. When I was 50, I decided it was time to buy the Mickey Mouse watch I'd always wanted. When it finally died a few years ago, I bought another. Currently I'm in need of another thumb drive on which to back up files from my computer, and I have my eye on one with the Tasmanian Devil logo. The last movie I saw was the final saga of Harry Potter. Never a Christmas goes by that I don't watch "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (the cartoon version) and "Frosty the Snowman" (the one narrated by Jimmy Durante.)This summer I've been reading classics (The Secret Garden, Heidi) to my six-year-old granddaughter and enjoying them as much as she does. I can't wait to get to Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Never stop learning.

This summer I've been learning--slowly and painfully--about formatting for CreateSpace and Kindle. Sometimes I've felt overwhelmed, but I haven't been tempted to give up. Like the Little Engine, "I think I can, I think I can...I know I can!" Rarely a day goes by when I don't find new and fascinating information in the newspaper or online. I fill notebook after notebook with ideas gleaned from people-watching, conversations, pictures, etc.

Never grow old. 

 A classmate is sending out monthly emails reminding us of other classmates' birthdays, particularly those who have reached or are reaching the big seven-oh. I have a couple of years as I started school early and was one of the youngest in my class. I'm not sure what's so special about that particular milestone. One grandfather lived to be 96. It was only in the last year of his life that poor health ended his gadding about.  He consistently referred to people years younger as "that old man". I seem to have inherited his genes and believe that old age in a state of mind. 


But being a "senior citizen" has many advantages (besides discounts at restaurants and theaters). I have no agenda, no inflated idea of what I will achieve. I'm in no hurry to go anywhere or do anything. I've served my time serving my family, and now it's my turn to do as I please. (And I do.) And, oddly enough, the days aren't long enough to do everything I please. I recently started getting up an hour earlier to improve the odds! 

In short, I'm getting older--it's inevitable. But I'll never, never, ever get old.



1 comment:

K9friend said...

I so agree with you, Judy. Research reflects that exercising the mind keeps the brain agile...and younger.
Great news for all of us "seniors".

Pat
Critter Alley