Friday, July 19, 2013

I, Penelope


 Since everybody's been telling off on me, I suppose it's my turn, so here goes.

My name is Penelope Corinne Louise Kelley Pembroke. I was named for my mother, one of her sisters, and a cousin who died during the German blitz of London during WW II. My mother was a war bride, and she came to Amaryllis in 1946 and settled in with my father Jake Kelley and his family right here in the house where I live now.

I had an idyllic childhood. Then I made a huge mistake--instead of going to college like I should have, I married Travis Pembroke. I don't regret my son Bradley, but that's all I got out of that marriage. I should have gotten out of it a lot sooner, but I believed then--and still do--that marriage is forever. As a divorced Catholic, I knew I couldn't marry again and still receive the sacraments, so I just accepted I'd be alone forever and moved on from there.

Everything's been good--or it was until Sam showed up. Don't ask me who he is. I don't know. Bradley might, but he's not telling me anything.

It's not just that Sam's come close to getting me killed a couple of times...well, maybe I was a little bit responsible, too. It's how he makes me feel, which is guilty with a capital G. He'd have me in bed in a second if I'd let him, and believe me, I've come close.

Meanwhile, my hometown of Amaryllis is changing and not for the better. Bikers, drug-running, feuds, hidden secrets coming out--I don't like any of it.

But I like Sam. I like him too much.

And that's all I have to say about that or anything else. I'm going to tend to the B&;B, mind my own business, take care of Daddy, hope for the best for my son, and not let anybody or anything into my bed except Abijah the cat.

Visit me online here.

And watch for a BIG announcement on Monday!


No comments: