Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Perils of (Self) Publishing OR I Think I'll Throw Myself on the RR Tracks...

Do I appreciate all the editors and others who labored over my traditionally-published books? Oh, yes! A thousand times, yes! I think of them longingly as I sit here hunched over my computer, working with margins, uploading documents, reading the dreaded message, "There are___ issue with your document."

I have wrestled with pagination and headers...and believe me, there is a trick to it all! I wouldn't have said so before this, but I say it now.

Section breaks, while a must, are also a headache, but I did learn how to remove them if necessary.

A "minimum" gutter of 0.75 may well work in ONE formatted document but may have to be upped to 0.95 in another.

There are free photo converters out there to help with the sizing and resolution of cover pics. I get the skinny on them, thanks to membership in the local computer club.

But the saving grace of it all is patience and believing you WILL figure it out sooner or later.

I've decided to release the six Penelope Pembroke Cozy Mysteries at intervals of a week to ten days. Keep watching this blog for the announcement of the "free" days on KDP. They'll also be available in print just because I like a print book.

Meanwhile, don't forget you can read the first chapters of The Bogus Biker and The Stubborn Schoolhouse Spirit FREE at www.judynickles.com

Maybe I'll just let that train pass me by for now. There's no hero waiting in the wings to rescue me, alas. Besides, I have four more books to format!

1 comment:

K9friend said...

Wow, sounds like you really know your stuff. I'm thinking this is one of those things that could drive me right over the edge. I wish you lots of luck and am sure you WILL get it all figured out!

Pat
Critter Alley