Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Perils of Publishing--OR, Persistence Pays Off

I began writing on my father's heavy-as-lead upright Underwood like the one pictured below, churning out poems, stories, and even essays for English classes in school. Then, when I was a sophomore in high school,

I received a Remington Quiet-Riter for Christmas, complete with carry-case. It saw me through college. It even traveled in a 100-gallon steel barrel across the Atlantic Ocean to Africa where I taught two years in the capital of Zaire ((now the Democratic Republic of the Congo AGAIN). It went with me again when I traveled upriver to the Kasai Province to marry and live for another two years. And, it came home again with me to the United States.

Sometime thereafter, my husband gave me an electric typewriter, which nearly drove me crazy until I learned to disregard the ringing bell everytime the carriage returned. But, I did some serious writing on it in between being a wife and mother.

Eventually, I graduated to a word processor and went through a couple of those. And, then came the computer, which brings me to the subject of today's blog.

I'm self-taught on the computer, but my ears are always open for new information. I'm both a visual and an auditory learner--and I don't mind confessing to what I don't know. As I've written about, I'm getting my Penelope Pembroke Cozy Mystery Series ready to go up on Kindle--and that means formatting issues, and I've had many.

But once again, I met the right person at the right time, explained my problems, and listened attentively as she explained how to solve them. Today, I'm doing the Happy Dance. There will be no more long, frustrating hours trying to get just one of the books ready for upload. One is up. I'm going to re-do the second, and the third is ready to go.

I have two things going for me--one I am patient, and the other is, I am determined. My motto is "I will NOT be beaten!" Like the little engine, I always think I can! And, I do!

1 comment:

K9friend said...

I'm sure all your hard work will pay off, Judy.

Pat
Critter Alley