Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day--Going, Going, Gone?

It's all been said before--and I've repeated it time and again in one blog or another. This year, though, in light of current events, I have a question:

Have we dishonored those who gave up all their tomorrows for our todays?

It seems that way to me.

We are a more divided nation than ever before. Politicians and the news media scream epithets and turn a blind eye to corruption, and a large percentage of citizens don't bother to vote or educate themselves about what's going on in America today. And, may I just add, the aforementioned elites collect salaries and benefits unrealized by most citizens and paid for by those who can ill-afford it.  For what? What do they do but dissemble, even outright lie, and keep their profiles in the limelight? Certainly they do little if anything for the people they are elected/hired to serve.

In light of the recent scandals, it seems to me our freedoms are dangerously close to being eroded forever--and not from an outside enemy but rather from one within.

 "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

So where are the good men (and women)? Where am I? Where is their drive to do something? Where is mine?

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (NEB, John 8:32)

Even if you don't subscribe to the Bible, the premise is undeniable. Experience tells us that lies enslave us. The truth endures; lies are changed to fit the time and place.

"Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it." (Georges Santayana)

We have spawned and continue to coddle generations who can't remember the past because they know nothing about it. Ignorance isn't a defense--but it's a good offense. Keep the sheep in the dark, and they will follow whoever comes along with the promise of sunlight and green grass.

I have said this before, too:  America isn't perfect. Far from it. But it was built on hope for the best, and I'm old enough to have seen mistakes rectified and progress made in many areas. Now I see us sliding back into the shadows, and I'm not alone.

This blog is my vehicle for communicating my fears, but I am only one.

Are there two out there? Three? More? Where is the courage of the men and women who fought and died for the future of this country? Just because we aren't in uniform doesn't mean we can't stand up and be counted where we are. If we don't, evil will triumph, and in order to survive, we will have to become evil, too.

I won't live that long, but my grandchildren will. Yes, times change, but ideals don't. They don't change, but they die--are slaughtered and buried and replaced with mindless propaganda.

I've made the decision to speak out.







No comments: