Saturday, May 18, 2013

Lesson Plans and Marketing Strategies

During the last few years of my teaching career, new lesson plan guidelines came down from on high. Instead of spending my time creating materials, I spent my time writing down information as detailed as I'm sure went into the strategic planning of D-Day. It was just so much paperwork, of course, to cover backsides. unmentioned here. However, not to be beaten, I persevered and developed an easily-filled out form to cover all the bases and still allow myself time to be a real teacher rather than a drone.

But I digress.

Now I'm faced with mapping a major marketing campaign for my new Penelope Pembroke Cozy Mystery Series which should launch two books at a time beginning next month. I want to get the word out, want to find readers to read #1, which will be free for a time, because I feel confident #1 will make folks want to read #2 and so on. I have confidence in my 'product' just as I had confidence in my ability to organize and teach classes. But, like those annoyingly unnecessary lesson plan requirements, I want to dispense with unnecessary and redundant activities which might look good on paper but won't really get the job done.

To that end, I'm re-reading tons of ebook marketing information collected over the years as well as finding new ideas. One of the best books I've read lately is Dana Lynn Smith's Virtual Book Tour Magic: The Secrets to Planning a Successful Book Promotion Tour.  (Also check out her other books at Amazon--I'd recommend them all.)

So a book tour is first on my list of strategies to implement. (If you'd be interested in hosting me for a day or even more and/or reviewing the Penelope books, contact me judy at judynickles dot com.  I'm offering free pdfs of all six books and reciprocal exposure here at The Word Place.)

A book tour is only the tip of the iceberg though. That's where I'm teetering now, on the tip, with the prospect of sliding down its cold face and leaving my mark along the way before plunging into the watery abyss of ebook authorship.

Chapter 1 of The Bogus Biker has been a free read on my website. Now I'm offering Chapter 2.

Are you an ebook author? How did you approach marketing your puppies?

1 comment:

K9friend said...

Judy, you are smart, determined, and you have a plan. I know you'll be successful!

Pat
Critter Alley