Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Taking a stand...or something

I don't know if it's significant that my blog had a rather large number of viewers yesterday and is on its way to duplicating that number today. Last night I told a friend, tongue in cheek, that I was probably being put on that many 'bad lists' for speaking out.

In my lifetime, I've taken a few stands which I don't regret.  In college, I opted out of joining our school's equivalent of a sorority because of some really nasty happenings during "pledge week" which I knew I couldn't imitate the next year--nor would I ever feel quite comfortable with those who perpetrated them against me--all in "fun", of course.The next year, the groups were having a hard time getting new members.

Later, I was the first to resign from a job at a private Christian school when the requirement to keep the job was signing a "statement of agreement" with the pastors' theology AND joining that church. While I didn't disagree with their beliefs per se, I felt the whole situation smacked of a dangerous coercion. All the teachers but one followed suit.

Just recently, I resigned from an organization (which I won't name here because it's a good organization that does a tremendous amount of excellent work) because of its bias against adoption. Therefore, I'd have one granddaughter welcomed with open arms and the other rejected and told, "Sorry, you're not a real member of the family." If I couldn't leave the legacy to both girls (who are both real members of our family), I chose not to leave it at all.

Sometimes you have to take a stand.

I didn't bad-mouth the school club, nor the Christian school, nor the organization. That sort of thing doesn't square with my belief system either. I'm not bad-mouthing authors who choose to write what I don't. Each person has to make a choice about every action she takes in life.

And I'm not patting myself on the back either. When I was a senior in college, I chose to participate in the senior "extravaganza", ignoring the risque (for the time) and suggestive lyrics in many of the songs. I knew it was wrong, but I did so want to be a part of it anyway. When it was over, an underclassman approached me with such hurt in her eyes and said she'd looked up to me and couldn't believe I'd been a part of that kind of thing. It cut me to the heart. She was right, and I was wrong, and almost 50 years later, I've never forgotten it.

The book of my life is 3/4 finished, but I've been given the opportunity to do, in the last quarter, what I've always wanted to do--to write. With opportunity comes responsibility to make a difference. I hope the difference I make will be the right one.


1 comment:

Donna Alice said...

Tried to leave a comment on yesterday's blog but was googled out or something! I agree wholeheartedly. Today's blog is great too - sometimes you have to take a stand. Great words!