Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Questions, Questions...About NaNoWriMo

What is the working title of your book?

In the Books

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I was leafing through a wonderful travelogue of Ghost Towns in Texas and found a picture of an old college which has fallen into ruin. I always think, "If walls could talk..."

What genre does your book fall under?

Definitely romantic suspense--and perhaps historical since it's set in the 1880s.

What actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Well, that's a tough one since I don't go to movies and watch the "oldies" on dvd/vcr. So, at the risk of people not knowing who I'm talking about, I think I'd choose Ann Blyth to play Ruth, the eager music student on scholarship and Pat Boone to play her love interest, Alec Marshall.

What is a one-sentence synopsis of your story?

Ruth and Alec are eager for an education at the new Belle Plain College--and also interested in getting to know each otehr better, but someone doesn't want them to be more than just classmates.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agent?

Since I'm going to try the waters of 'indie publishing' in 2013, I'll say it will be self-published.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

It took two weeks to write 20,000+ of the worst drivel I've ever written! I made the decision to scrap everything--which, of course, meant not finishing NaNoWriMo--and start over when I've had time to think about my characters and develop the plot the way it should go.

What other books would you compare your story to within this genre?

That I can't answer.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

I always enjoy the NaNo Challenge, and this was my 6th year. The first year I didn't finish due to the terminal illness of a dear cousin-sister. The next year I did finish--somewhere she was threatening me if I didn't! I also finished in 2009, 2010 and 2011, but this year it seemed pointless to continue--what I wrote was BAD, folks. It's redeemable, however.  

But it was the photographs of those crumbling walls of Belle Plain College which really inspired me...and wondering about the stories of the young people who inhabited them during its brief life from 1881-1892.  And someday, I'll go back and let them tell me about themselves...their hopes, their dreams...and yes, their secrets!

 What else about this  book might pique the reader's interest?  

Visit my website and click on the NaNoWriMo tab to read a more complete synopsis and see the cover I designed.

Thanks, Pat, for tagging me! This was fun and inspires me to want to finish this story--someday! 

1 comment:

K9friend said...

I enjoyed hearing about your NaNo process, Judy. It's interesting how each person attacks it differently. I'm sure you'll turn what sounds like a very promising idea into a great read! Thanks for playing!

Pat
Critter Alley