Sunday, November 4, 2012

What started out as a good idea...

At the end of NaNoWriMo Day 4, my word count stands at 8,556 words, slightly ahead of schedule.

8,556 of the WORST words I have ever written. Blecch! Of course, first drafts are notorious for being bad, but this one is SO bad. It was a great idea, and I think it can be salvaged. I keep waiting for my characters to come to life and the plot to take fire...but meanwhile, I must press on to the eventual goal of 50,000 words.

Yes, yes, December is for rewriting, but I wont' get to it until January. Or maybe February...or March...or sometime.

So what's wrong with my brilliant story idea? Well, for starters it's set in 1881, and I'm rather out of my comfort zone there. Also, young people (which populate my story with the exception of the villain) didn't speak the way they do today, so if I try to be accurate, the dialogue is somewhat stilted. Plus, my villain is a "man of the cloth", and I feel somewhat guilty for making him so despicable. No, no, he doesn't DO anything awful...he's just a weasel...a grinch...

What to do? Keep on keeping on, I guess. Get those 50,000 words down, then go back and clean things up. By the time I get to the end of this thing, I'll figure out what's wrong with it and, hopefully, how to fix it.

Meanwhile, to all you other Wrimos out there...keep writing! And so will I. I won't like it, but I'll do it.

Sigh.

No comments: