Frankly, I haven't bought into my story yet. I've come to a place where a major crisis has occurred, but I'm still not excited enough about the story to keep going and resolve said crisis. I don't have to finish, of course, but I want to as a matter of principle. There's really no good excuse not to do so.
Thus, to recap:
- Alec has been dismissed from Belle Plain College.
- Ruth has left voluntarily (read escaped!) after a horrifying attack on her reputation--and a stealthy one on her person.
- Julia has left with her out of loyalty and also fear of being targeted for being Ruth's friend.
- Royal alone is left to ferret out what he can about the undercurrent of selective persecution.
- Just before leaving for Liberty Hill under the protection of Julia's parents, Ruth receives word that her father has been killed in a farm accident, and her little sister Rachel is staying at the manse--which means she's at the mercy of the Reverend Harbin Manning, whose lust for Ruth started all these intrigues.
Anybody else out there as unmotivated as I am? How can we help each other get back on track?