Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Starting and Starting Over Again

The copies I ordered of A Very Kate Christmas arrived today. It's a neat, compact little volume (5 stories) with a few minor technical glitches which I can fix with the next printing and which do not detract from the stories themselves. I plan to use the copies I ordered as Christmas "cards" for a few folks who I know will enjoy the book.

There is much to learn about indie publishing. I just finished reading (on Kindle)The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe by Jeff Bennington. When I spotted it, it was free but has now reverted to 99 cents. Take my word for it--if you're looking at indie publishing, it's a must-read. One of the tips he gives is to have a few print copies available, so that's what I was trying out with A Very Kate Christmas. It's a learning process.

Bennington's book is divided into four parts:
  •  WHY INDIE?
  • TECHNICALITIES AND CRAFT
  • INDIE PUBLISHING
  • MAKING IT HAPPEN
He made me realize I am either going into business or just playing around at a hobby. It's my choice. So the first few months of 2013 will be focused on the former--and there's lots involved. I'll be blogging about each faltering step as I take it.

His book on indie publishing isn't the first I've read, but it probably should have been. The old saying about not putting the cart before the horse is apt. However, the following is a list of other books (all available on Kindle, some free, all reasonably priced) I've plowed through in the past six months or have downloaded but haven't yet read:

  1. Get Up to Speed with Online Marketing (Jon Reed)
  2. The Visual Guide to Kindle Formatting (Presented by 'everything indie'--website http://www.everything-indie.com)
  3. The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing (Marilyn Ross and Sue Collier)
  4. Get Connected: 101 Places to Promote Your Book Online (Compiled by G.E. Johnson)
  5. The Beginners Guide to eBooks (Gary McLaren)
  6. Building Your Book for Kindle (Amazon Kindle)
  7. Newbie's Guide to Publishing (J.A. Konrath)
  8. How to Get Your Book Reviewed (The Savvy Book Marketer/Dana Lynn Smith)
  9. How to Sell More Books on Amazon (The Savvy Book Marketer/Dana Lynn Smith)
  10. Smashwords Book Marketing Guide (Mark Coker)
  11. Promote Your Book (Patricia Fry)
  12. Virtual Book Tour Magic (The Savvy Book Marketer/Dana Lynn Smith)
  13. How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months (John Locke)
  14. Format Your eBook for Kindle in One Hour (Derek J. Canyon)
  15. Publish on Amazon Kindle with Kindle Direct Publishing (Amazon Kindle)
  16. How to Format Your eBook for Kindle, Nook, Smashwords, and Everything Else (Paul Salvette)
  17. Secrets to eBook Publishing Success (Mark Coker)
Lots to read and think about, huh? But even if you take only one idea away from  every book, that's 17 ideas you didn't have before!

Feel free to add to the list.


No comments: