Sunday, November 11, 2012

Moving Right Along...

I'm where I should be at the end of NaNoWriMo Day 11, but I'm not particularly any happier with how the story is unfolding than I was last week. In a word (or two), IT STINKS! That's not to say it can't be fixed, but HOW?

The Reverend Harbin Manning (are you remembering Arthur Dimmesdale of The Scarlet Letter's infamy?) is working his nefarious plot to ensnare Ruth. No, he doesn't quite have her tied to the railroad tracks or the buzz saw, but he's got her where he wants her. At least, he thinks so. He's even dropped a word or two in the ear of Belle Plain College's dean who is now WATCHING her for so much as a toe out of line. She wants to pack her trunk and leave, but her roommate Julia and Julia's soon -to-be love interest Royal are encouraging her to stay, stand firm, and fight.

She still doesn't know Alec's "secret". Alec has asked Royal not to spill the beans, but he's not quite ready to tell Ruth himself. It's a delicate subject, you see. But Ruth's a farm girl. She knows about the birds and the bees--or, at least, the cows, chickens, pigs, and horses.

This is turning into a real melodrama! Blecccch!

Turning to a more interesting subject: I've formatted all five of my "A Very Kate Christmas" stories and plan to self-publish them in a small volume just to see how they're received outside of the fan fiction forum where they started. Of course, they're now 'mainstreamed' without any visible connection to their roots. The first of the stories, "A Very Kate Christmas: I Was Hungry" won the Editor's Choice Award in a contest in 2008 and was published in Words of Belief: 'Tis the Season. I also got a check for more money than I've ever received for any single writing piece!

Since then, I've written four more Kate stories:  "An Unexpected Christmas", "Unto the Least of These",
"He Shall Feed His Flock", and "The Reason for the Season". I expect there will be a Volume 2 eventually. I like writing Kate Christmas stories! And if Volume 1 comes together well, I'll be offering it as a give-away on a blog where I'm guesting December 13th, so stay tuned for more info.

Tomorrow I'm headed into town again for another NaNo session away from the distraction of the internet. At some point, I really need to get a few words ahead so I can take off on my annual Thanksgiving trip without guilt. Of course, I can write in the evenings when I'm done sightseeing, but it would still be nice to have a cushion.

Until next week--Happy NaNo-ing to all involved. Keep those fingers working and the words popping!


No comments: