Thursday, November 8, 2012

It's still a good idea, but...

So here we are, NaNoWriMo Day 8. I was behind, so I holed up in one of my favorite spots in town and caught up. Getting a little bit ahead would be nice, too, since I have a full calendar this month, and there will be days I don't get in many words.

The story of Ruth and Alec is unfolding, but I'd like to scrap it all and start over. However, that's what the post-NaNo months are for. The idea is a good one, but I'm not happy with the way I'm spinning it. It starts slow, is sluggish, doesn't have enough angst, and is definitely out-of-step with modern romance. Of course, it's not a modern romance. It takes place in 1881, when most young people had some restraint. In short, they weren't all over each other from the first hormonal surge. Yet, the sexual tension needs to be there.

My villain, the very Reverend Harbin Manning, is villainous enough--think Reverend Dimmesdale, the nemesis of Hester Prynne in The Scarlet Letter. But he needs developing...realistically...though his lust for Ruth must remain more in the mind than of the flesh! His influence with Ruth's father needs developing, too. Why does he have so much "pull" with the successful farmer, a man who has done a marvelous job raising two motherless girls on his own?

Alec is about to find out the secret of his origins. This, too, needs to be handled sensitively, but he needs to react realistically to the truth. And how will Ruth handle the truth? Naive and protected, she won't be prepared to face the ugliness Alec is called upon to deal with.

So I press on. I have to get the words down and fix them later!

On an added note, I am enjoying watching a large group of Red Hatters in all shapes, sizes, and styles of dress/hats having lunch here while I work. Were I more assertive, I'd tell them they were being mentioned in my blog and blithely pass out some promotional postcards for my books. Alas, I am not. So I shall pack up and go about taking care of some errands now...
'


1 comment:

K9friend said...

Your story sounds like a good one.

Unlike years past I'm pretty much free writing rather than using a structured outline. The words are coming, but they certainly are all over the place.

Pat
Critter Alley