Thursday, November 22, 2012

Dropping Out

Er...um...I suppose it's official: I'm a NaNoWriMo drop-out! Sigh. I was ready for November. The idea sparkled. Appropriate character names, including a lecherous villain, graced the planning page. A rough plot lurked in the wings. (I'm a pantser so I don't have every scene set in stone.) I'd created a cover and posted a brief blurb.

Then it began.At 12:01 AM on November 1, my eager fingers descended to the keyboard and began to type. Things plunged downhill from there. As I blog, I have 24,453 words written--surely 24,453 of the worst words I've ever written in my life. Whereas before, I always approached each day's word quota with eagerness and enthusiasm, this year I dreaded even opening the document!

Then I took an unauthorized break and organized A Very Kate Christmas, a volume of five stories I loved writing and which are, I say with appropriate pride, pretty darn good. One of them even won the Editor's Choice Award in a 2008 contest, saw publication in an anthology, and brought me a three-figure check. (See previous blog for details,)

After that, the train of disillusionment picked up speed as it rattled down the steep grade to...the decision to drop out. A little guilt crept in, and I thought, "Well, maybe I'll make it..." But then I took off for my annual fall get-away and left the guilt at home.

There's always next year. Then again, maybe not. I have enough to work on without creating a new novel requiring editing, revising, proofing, etc. I'm venturing into indie publishing this coming year (A Very Kate Christmas is a trial run/test, and I still have to get it up as an ebook), and I think that's going to take up all my time and more.

Meanwhile, judging by the stats, an average of 15 people view  The Word Place, everyday. Sometimes it goes to 25 or even more. So here's a request (plea?): if you don't already follow this blog, please take a second to click on the 'follow' button and help me reach my goal of 100 followers. Thanks in advance!



And, if you're in the market for a stocking stuffer, white elephant gift, limited-price exchange present, etc., go here and consider purchasing A Very Kate Christmas. You can't beat five stories for $5, and it ships in 3-5 days.

PS:  Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Liz Flaherty said...

I love that cover! Happy Thanksgiving a day late, Judy.