Sunday, June 10, 2012

P & P

The topic of "promotion" has been addressed previously here at The Word Place, but after reading a recent issue of Hope Clark's "Total Funds for Writers", I have a new perspective. Unfortunately, since it's a subscription newsletter, I can't include a link However, check out the website online anyway. (If you don't already subscribe FREE to "Funds for Writers" and "Small Markets", you should. "Total Funds for Writers" is a bargain at $15/year.)

I digress. We all know the standard social marketing program--Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn. a blog, a website, ad nauseum. I must admit I am alternately frustrated and bored with the whole thing. But Hope brought up another P which needs to go hand in hand with the first one (platform)--and that's PASSION. Do we write because we are passionate about writing and what we have to say? If so, the people we are trying to reach won't know it unless we tell them. 

So now I have to think--a tiring process, especially after I just finished a re-write of the first of six cozy mysteries I hope to "go indie" with one of these days. I have to think--WHAT am I PASSIONATE about? And how will I let that passion shine through and encourage readers to want to learn more about it in my books?

I like making lists, so here goes:
  • history
  • genealogy
  • travel to historical places
  • mysteries (especially real ones)
  • meeting people 
  • learning new things
  • new perspectives on other cultures
  • and last but certainly not least, my faith because it's the catalyst for everything I do
Now comes the hard part: HOW do I incorporate one or more of these very real passions into my platform and reach those who share them? That's going to take more thought, but I'm determined to do it, so stay tuned.

What are your passions? Do you--can you--how will you incorporate them into your writing platform? Leave a comment, and I'll draw a name at the end of the week for either a PDF or a Kindle version of The Face on Miss Fanny's Wall--a novel, by the way, which built on three of the passions listed above: history, genealogy, mystery. Or, if those subjects don't rattle your cage, you can opt for a PDF of Dancing with Velvet, a WW II romance set in my West Texas hometown.

7 comments:

Cherie Le Clare said...

Hi Judy,

Passion fades as time goes by. A pity, but so true. From the novelty and excitement of the first weeks and months of promotion to the tedium of regular tweeting, etc.

But when I read a good book my passion for my own writing returns. So, I push on with the next project and maybe, one day, I'll be able to employ someone to do all the pesky promoting for me!

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Like you, I get fed up with all the online promotion, Judy - and I actually share many of the same passions! A thought-provoking post.

I just finished 'Miss Fanny' the other day and I loved the story - mysteries are one of my favourite genres.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Judy, I agree if the writer has no passion(s), why would the reader care?

Warning: If I were to win, I already am reading Miss Fanny, so Velvet would make a better prize.

Judy Nickles/Gwyneth Greer said...

Thanks for stopping by to read and share so early on a Monday morning, Ladies! SO glad you enjoyed Miss Fanny, Rosemary. I enjoyed researching/writing it. And Julie, your preference for Velvet is so noted. I'll put all commenters' names in the pot on Friday and draw.

Allison said...

Julie is so right. No Passion, then the book is dull. A reader reads to get into the lives of the characters, Without passion I don't see how the write can make interesting characters. It would like trying to read a governmental report. Very dull stuff.

Nancy Jardine said...

I'm thinking of putting up a very large banner above my desk that's a checklist, like your list, Judy. I have it in small form around and about, but every time i look up from the keyboard it needs to hit me smack in the face to remind me 'I REALLY AM PASSIONATE ABOUT GETTING MY BOOKS READ.' My current pinboard will need to be changed for a much larger one!

Linda Hope Lee said...

A very thought-provoking post, Judy. Makes me stop and think. I've always thought I've been passionate about my writing, but maybe I could put more passion into my stories. Get deeper inside my characters and find out who they are and what their passions are.