Sunday, May 22, 2011

Of Retreats, Book Signings, New Contracts, and Many Things

The Second Annual Wild Rose Press Retreat was a resounding success! Four days at the Lutheridge Retreat Center near Asheville NC...a green, wooded area...afternoons rocking on the porch while writing or visiting and watching the rain...fun activities...useful information...and most important, meeting/getting to know fellow writers...another four days would have been great!

Except for the car I rented at the Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, a brand-new Ford Focus with more bells and whistles than I'd ever seen before, it was smooth sailing/traveling all the way. I liken the car, however, to the Millenium Falcon (for those of you old enough to be familiar with Star Wars) minus the expertise of Han Solo and Chewbacca to fly/drive it! I want four wheels, four gears, a gas gauge, a speedometer--and, oh, yes, a car that doesn't talk back!

Had a day to catch up on Tuesday before beginning the MWF routine with small person again. Thursday's book signing was successful. Hope the one this Thursday does as well! My youngest granddaughter's first birthday, a graduation BBQ, and programs at the library in conjunction with the sesquicentennial of the Civil War have kept this week full. Hopefully, things are going to slow down a bit.

The big news is that I received a contract for Dancing with Velvet, the story set in my West Texas hometown during World War II. I need to make a few changes, per my editor, before we get started on edits.

Then, too, I'm trying to update all my sites, a never-ending chore! A writer's work is never done (tongue-in cheek)! And, I'm waiting on a book I'll be reviewing for Romancing the Book, a relatively new review site worth checking out.

At the end of the day, I'm gratified to be part of a wonderful writing community!

Next week: More Resources for Writers!

No comments: