Monday, May 9, 2011

The Fellowship of the Pen

On Thursday I'm heading to Asheville NC for the second annual Wild Rose Press Retreat. I'm looking forward to seeing editor-in-chief Rhonda Penders again (I met her in October at the Ozark Creative Writers Conference in Eureka Springs AR where she was a keynote speaker) and also meeting Nan Swanson for the first time. Nan was my editor for Where Is Papa's Shining Star? and Finding Papa's Shining Star. And, of course, I'm looking forward to meeting my fellow authors and participating in the terrific workshops planned for Friday.

Writers are a breed unto themselves in some ways. Only another writer understands the need to put down words for the purpose of telling a story or informing about/explaining something. Only another writer speaks the language of rewrite, revise, edit, query, submit, format, promote, reviews, market--and on and on. Writers need to get together just to find out there are other beings like them!

I have a fantastic crit partner and other wonderful friends (online and in person) who are writers. I can share thoughts, feelings, and ideas with them that I can't share with anyone else. We encourage each other. We rejoice together in a contract/acceptance--and commiserate together in a rejection. Because of other writers, we pick ourselves up and try again. We keep on keeping on.

I don't know if there's a National Writer's Day--or a Writer's Week--but if there isn't, there should be. We writers need to celebrate who we are and what we do. We need to stand up and say, "I write"--not mumble it and wait for the raised eyebrow or quizzical look and standard reply, "Oh."

So--Writers of the World unite! The power of words is unfathomable. The value of a good story cannot be measured. Share your knowledge and imagination with the world!






2 comments:

Donna Alice said...

Oh,yes, we need a National Writers Day!!!

Krystal said...

This is so true :)