Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Putting the Fun Back into Boomer Romance with Author Veronica Lynch



 Hi, Judy,
Thanks so much for allowing me to visit your blog. There's nothing I like better than running my mouth.
          I'd like to offer a bit of history on how Veronica came to be. I'd written a very short story for the Free Reads out of Wild Rose Press under my other author name [which shall not be mentioned]. It was, I thought, a cute, fun story about boomer age newlyweds and how they cope with the stressors of a new marriage combined with high intensity jobs. The ego took a huge burn when WRP rejected it based on the fact they are/were married. So, the story Those Who Wait, went into the mythical 'drawer' to gather dust bunnies. Someday I promised myself it would be published, perhaps as part of an anthology. 
          In the summer of 2010, while waiting for my grandchildren to march in a fireman's field days parade—a huge event in their small rural town—I scanned the latest edition of RT BookClub and saw a call for submissions from a new electronic press. Specifically, they were looking for stories to beef up their line of Boomer Romances. Right up my alley. I yanked open that squeaky drawer, submitted the story, and had it published in less than 30 days. Yahoo!
          Suddenly it dawned on me: I need to find a new name. The real Veronica Lynch came to mind. Not only did she have a lovely Irish name, but she took an active role in my father's generation; a single professional woman whose name inspired confidence and respect from my dad, his siblings and cousins [no small deal here]. She showed the world a woman could be successful in her own right, without the guidance and advice of a man. What a hero and role model to follow! That's how Veronica Lynch came into existence.
          After being burned once, I never planned to submit again to Wild Rose Press but when the Class of '85 series took off and the stories were so varied, and so cute, I couldn't resist. The plot line of revenge has always appealed to me; following on that came the idea of schoolyard bullies. Two very 'popular' secondary characters, Richard Heade and Ready Betty Baumgartner, found throughout the Class of '85 stories were the typical school bullies and are now married to each other. I could not resist using them as well as finding an opportunity for the heroine to take a bit of revenge on each. 
          That's how The List came to be.
          I write for this sub-genre because I can not write about them. I am grateful to Wild Rose and that other press who took a chance on that unknown author, Veronica Lynch, for their commitment to older heroes and heroines.
          I was recently at a conference in New Jersey and for the first time heard rumblings of agreement that 40 and 50 year-olds are the new 30 something generation. I credit the popularity of actresses such as Sandra Bullock, Glenn Close, and Andie McDowell and Meryl Streep; actors such as Tommy Lee Jones, Pierce Brosnan, Bruce Willis and Liam Neeson. If I'm going to cuddle up with some guy [at least in my dreams], I want someone who's been around the block a time or two, someone with some life-lines on their faces and can make me laugh.
          That's why I write for this genre and that's why I love boomer romances.
          Thanks, Judy—this has been fun.
Veronica

PS: I'd like to offer a small gift to folks to stop by and leave a comment—a Veronica Lynch mouse pad!!!

purchase at:  www.thewildrosepress.com

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Twenty-five years ago, Fiona Thorpe's classmates voted her most likely to explode. Through hard work and rigorous self-control she is now every woman's fantasy, every man's wet dream. Head held high, and less than half her former size, Fee returns to her high school reunion weekend. Her goal: exact revenge on those who made her life a living hell back in the day. Her first attempts are remarkably easy and give her profound satisfaction. But no one is more shocked than Fee when she discovers the handsome, respected man seated beside her at the opening banquet is a modern day Paladin, who avenges those unable to defend themselves. To make matters worse, he is her former chief tormentor, Mick Dineen.

Are some wounds too deep to heal? Or can two former enemies find common ground?

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Frustrated with the holdup, Fee glanced around the room, hoping to see Dru the minute she entered the ballroom. A hand on her arm claimed her attention. “Here comes someone you should meet.”
“Who?”
“Last year's Eastman Award winner,” Rafe said. “And a helluva nice guy.”
“Where?”
“There, coming toward us.”
One nano-second later, all thoughts of revenge evaporated like steam out of a boiling kettle.
Thick gold hair flecked with gray grazed the collar of his jacket. His features were weathered, as if he'd already lived ten times over. Broad through the shoulders and chest, and narrow at the waist and hips, he possessed the long legs of a broken-field runner. Moving across the parquet floor as if born to a runway, he looked confident and  at ease with himself. Without disrupting that graceful, fluid motion, he undid his tie, then shrugged out of his suit jacket.
She'd almost given up on finding a man like this.
This one had The Look.

Tomorrow:  Brenda Gayle, author of Soldier for Love

8 comments:

Lynne Marshall said...

Veronica, you are a lady after my own heart. I love boomer romance, but don't see nearly enough of it. Usually, BR (boomer romances) get put in single titles as secondary storylines. i.e. Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. That's why I love that TWRP has the Last Rose of Summer line (I just wish that didn't sound so desperate - yeah that rose hangs on and blooms long, but something about the name doesn't bode well for me) : ( Anyway, your story premise sounds wonderful. Here's to many more stories featuring mature heroes and heroines!

Jannine Gallant said...

Great interview, Veronica. Sometimes you have to just keep looking to find that perfect home for your story. Glad you found it for Those Who Wait.

Brenda Gayle said...

Perseverance pays off. WEll done Veronica.

Jana Richards said...

Hi Veronica,
Best of luck with "The List". Does your Fiona find that revenge isn't as sweet as she thought it would be? I can't wait to download this one!

Jana

Veronica Lynch Author said...

Hi, Lynne,
thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. Also thanks for supporting the Last Roses!
we are a tough, loving group of dames.
Best,
Veronica

Veronica Lynch Author said...

Jannine,
As always, thanks for the support. You're the best!
Veronica

Veronica Lynch Author said...

Brenda,
well done to you also!
Great interview. So glad you and Maggie Johnson clicked. She's a pip.
Veronica

Veronica Lynch Author said...

Jana,
interesting question--does Fee learn revenge isn't quite so sweet.
I think she found with the first few names on The List--it was better than sweet, but I'll leave it to you to read that one.
When it came to Mick Dineen, the jury is still out on that one--though Mick himself is a sweet, darling man who deserves a woman who loves him for what he has turned himself into.
Best,
Veronica