Tuesday, March 8, 2011

NAIWE Day 2: Give me liberty...

Today's Question:
Words can change history. What speech or document do you believe to be most important. Why?

I had to think about this one for a minute, but then then Patrick Henry's immortal words came to mind: Give me liberty, or give me death! or, as my father used to wink and say, Give me liberty, or give me my nickel back! 

I'm not sure I'd qualify this as the most important speech ever given, but it ranks near the top. Without freedom--whether spiritual, political, educational, physical, psychological, or personal--there really is nothing to shout about.
Words can be used to enslave or to set free, and Patrick Henry must have had this in mind when he spoke so passionately as the colonists set out to distance themselves from their British ties. His words and others incited the Revolution that gave birth to the United States of America--'home of the brave, land of the free'. 

Perhaps as we free citizens speak today, we should stop and think about how we are using that liberty, since words can be weapons of good or evil.


No comments: