Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year's Resolutions and All That Jazz

     Short and sweet--if I don't make 'em, I don't have to keep 'em! 

     That said, I need to keep this blog up-to-date, invite more guest bloggers, and provide more writing information to anyone who's interested.
     So I just got around to beginning to read the January 2011 issue of The Writer Magazine, an excellent resource for writers. There's an article on 5 Smart Ways to Invest in Your Writing in the New Year by Debbie Swanson. While acknowledging that some of her suggestions, like upgrading memberships in such online groups such as LinkedIn and Mediabistro.com, and setting up a website can cost more than effort, she is firm in her belief that it is money well-spent. I agree.
    She also suggests attending a writing conference. Every October I attend the Ozark Creative Writers Conference in Eureka Springs AR. It's just not to be missed! This May I'll be attending The Wild Rose Press writing retreat in Asheville NC. What an opportunity to connect with fellow 'Roses' also published by this terrific company. 
     Like most writers, I try to balance outgo against income. I've thought of not renewing my subscriptions to four writing magazines (Writer's Digest, The Writer, Writer's Journal, Poets and Writers) but I read them from cover to cover and never fail to learn something or get a line on a new market. Another perk is that sometimes a renewal comes with an offer for a free gift subscription--and I enjoy sending those.
      Instead of making New Year's Resolutions, it may be more beneficial to look back on the accomplishments of the past year and simply resolve to keep on keeping on. I begin this new year looking ahead to April when The Wild Rose Press will release my third novel (this one under the pseudonym I intend to make permanent, Gwyneth Greer) The Showboat Affair. And, I have a new contract from Champagne Books for The Face on Miss Fanny's Wall, estimated release January 2012.
     I had my share of rejections in 2010, but those are more positive than negative, in that they keep me revising and researching a wider market. I have two short stories out now and more ready to go. A good crit partner is a treasure, and I found one this past year. We meet weekly for lunch and a good session of reading each other's writing and discussing how to make it better. Also, I was invited to participate in a twice-monthly writing group where the read-alouds are engaging and the critiques gentle but helpful. Last, I discovered the Fiction Writers of Central Arkansas and intend to get started with that this month.
     It promises to be a busy and productive year. Who could ask for anything more?
     Any writers out there who think they MUST make resolutions, here are a few suggestions:    
  • Visit my website. I'm always open to comments and suggestions.
  • Become a follower of this blog.
  • Friend me on Facebook.
  • Become a fan of Someday Is Here on Facebook. You can get there from the search box on FB.
  • Invite me to guest blog.
  • Consider yourself invited to guest blog at The Word Place. (email judy@judynickles.com)
  • Send me links to your blogs and websites which I'll post on my blog and website.
     Most of all, may your cup runneth over with writing successes, and your shredder not fill up with rejections!
    

    






1 comment:

K9friend said...

You certainly have had a year that would make any writer proud. Congratulations to your accomplishments. I'm sure you'll have continued success in 2011!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com