Sunday, January 16, 2011

January Writing Magazine Tips

     This month's writing magazines seem to have appeared in my mailbox in quick succession rather than arriving at longer intervals. Since I read each one of the four (The Writer, Writer's Digest, Writers' Journal, Poets and Writers) from 'kiver to kiver', I'm off to a slow start this year. The Writer arrived first, and I've finished reading and, hopefully digesting, the informative articles, so I thought I'd share few gleanings. As usual, I encourage you to subscribe or visit your local library to read complete articles.
     Debbie Swanson offers tips on investing in your writing this year, including attending a conference and improving your online presence.
     Multi-published author Cyn Balog explains how online networking brought in her first YA contract and shares two websites to investigate:
     Patricia Lorenz, author of 13 books and more than 50 stories in the Chicken Soup for the Soul books gives new credibility to the advice "Never give up". After a year and a half of multiple rejections for a story she truly believed in, she saw her words in print. Since then, "The Baggy Yellow Shirt" has earned her over $4000 in various venues!
     Eight book editors share what they want--and what they don't.
     Robert Bly's article "10 Ways to Generate Sales" is a must-read for authors with a book to sell. Even if you don't use all ten suggestions, you'll find more than one that works for you. You'll want to see what he has to say on things most of us do: newsletters, blogging, social networking, and e-marketing.
      Melissa Hart reviews The Creative Writer's Survival Guide: Advice from an Unrepentant Novelist by John McNally (University of Iowa Press). It's on my 'to- buy' list.
     Agents, markets, writers' events, and publishers are profiled in the back--8 valuable pages.
     I occasionally used to buy writing magazines off the newssstand, even though I knew it was cheaper to subscribe. What I didn't realize was that these magazines a worth every cent of their subscription price.
     Maybe by next week I'll have plowed through another January issue and will have more to share!
      

2 comments:

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Judy,
Great blog, very informative. I could do with all the help I can get in marketing my books.

Regards

Margaret

lizarnoldbooks said...

Thanks for the info, Judy. I can't afford all those subscriptions yet so I appreciate knowing if I should look for it at the bookstore.
Liz Arnold
Message to Love
The Wild Rose Press