Saturday, July 17, 2010

Resources for Writers #26: A Century of Settings



     





The Vintage House Book: Classic American Homes 1880-1980 by Tad Burness (Krause Publications, 2003) is one of the best finds I’ve plucked from the shelves of the local library. The 256-page book is jam-packed with pictures of exteriors and interiors of houses spanning an entire century. A brief introduction to each of the ten chapters gives an overview of the prevailing architectural trends of the particular decade.
             
           Over 2,500 images and photographs (both black-and-white as well as color), including some floor plans, have notations offering fascinating tidbits about the history and/or construction of a particular house. If you ever wondered about the evolution of the modern kitchen and bathroom, you’ll find it illustrated here.
            Imagine my surprise and delight when, on page 166, I found the exact house that my parents built before their marriage in 1940 (they were then married in the living room) and in which I spent the first four years of my life. Pictures of long-forgotten appliances and fixtures brought back a lot of memories!
            Knowing this book is one I’ll turn to again and again as I weave my vintage tales, I checked one of my favorite sites, ABE Books, and found it available from several bookstores at excellent (low!) prices. I’ll be ordering my copy soon!

FTC Disclaimer: I received no request to recommend this book or remuneration for doing same.
           

3 comments:

Maeve said...

What a great resource! I hadn't come across this one yet during my "googling" for information. Thanks!

Mary Ricksen said...

Great and thanks!!!!

K9friend said...

How cool is that! Of course you'll need to have this book in your library!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com