Sunday, May 2, 2010

Resources for Writers #16: Inspiring People Who Touch Your Life



Eileen Brent Beckman, founder of Otteridge Farm in Bedford, Virginia, slept away early this morning at the age of almost 93. I met her through her granddaughter, whom she helped raise, and who those of you familiar with me know as 'the house elf'. When I traveled to Virginia to see Katie perform or ride, Mrs. Beckman graciously insisted that I stay in her home beneath the Peaks of Otter. She said to me, as we surveyed the horizon from her front lawn leading to the barn, "Aren't I lucky?"

She served with the Red Cross in the China-Burma-India Theatre during World War II, met her future husband on the ship coming home, and went on to win recognition and respect in the equine world both for riding and breeding. She was scheduled to be inducted into yet another Hall of Fame in June--one more milestone in a long line of honors.

Writers need resources, but as human beings, we need inspiration more. Eileen Beckman inspired me to strive for more, to break out of my self-limiting mindset, and, even at my age, to reach for the stars. Just by virtue of knowing her, I feel I've already touched one of those bright lights and that she will keep it glowing for me.



8 comments:

Maeve said...

And now her light has gone on to shine freely without the limitations of this world. You're truly blessed to have known such a wonderful person. I'm sure she'll look in on you from time to time.

lmcoulter said...

What a wonderful tribute, Judy. The house elf has certainly gained a lot of her qualities! Hugs, thoughts and prayers being sent to you and the house elf!

Mary Ricksen said...

It's those that inspire us that make the biggest mark on our lives. She sounds wonderful. Tell us about the house elf? If you will.

Liz Flaherty said...

What a touching tribute, and how lucky you were to have had her this long!

Cynthia said...

Was sorry to hear this Katie had spoke of her a few times. and I remember Katie telling about the picture one night on the chat...at least I think it was the same picture.

Just know Katie you and your family are in my thoughts and take care of yourself. (HHUUGG)to you all who knew her.

Blessing
Cyn Ann

K9friend said...

It sounds like she left behind quite a legacy. Sending prayers for family and friends as they remember and celebrate her life.

Lori Robinett said...

What a beautiful comment on her life . . . my thoughts are with you. And may she continue to inspire you for many years to come.

80808waldod_brogden said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.